Cannabis, Sativas, and Indicas: What’s the Difference?
It is worthwhile to mention that Cannabis Sativa and Cannabis Indicas are sisters so the type of high you get from each plant can overlap in effect. Most strains these days are of some hybrid form and can be classified based on the dominant strain. Contact our Crested Butte recreational dispensary for more information.
Sativa strains may be the right choice for you!
This classification, native to Mexico, Thailand, Columbia and Southeast Asia, is known to provide the user with a more stimulating experience. The physical plants are known for their tall stocks and thin, fanned leaves, and can grow to a massive 20 ft outdoors.
The sweet and pungent aromas from sativa strains are wide-ranging. Depending on the specific bud, the scent can range anywhere from fruity to peppery. Because most of the sativa strains will offer a similar high, the user is given more freedom to select a proper bud based on taste and smell.
Symptom relief can range from ADD, depression, fatigue, and mood disorders.
ex: Sour Diesel, Jack Herer, Lemon Haze
Indica strains may be your best bet!
Like it’s sister, Cannabis Indica can produce a nice mental high. However, the Indica strain is more of a couch binding, ‘Let’s start a Netflix marathon’ type of high. The indica strain is used more than sativas for medical purposes.
Also unlike sativas, indica strains have a higher yield and are believed to originate from Hindu Kush, near Afghanistan. Indicas are grown shorter and bushier, 3 feet in doors. The indica strains have pretty much a universal taste throughout but flavors can range from fruity (kush) to skunky flavors (indica hybrids).
Symptom relief can range from anxiety, pain, muscle spasms, and insomnia.
ex: Grape Ape, Grand Daddy Purple, Northern Lights
Hybrid – Cannabis Sativa & Indica
Not sure which to choose?
Hybrid cannabis strains provide the best of both worlds!
Hybrids can be sativa or indica dominant and have the effects to match. This trend continues to create new strains like Above Blue Dream which is a combination of the common Blue Dream and Super Silver Haze to create a wonderful new Sativa dominant strain.
Hybrid Strains Fall into Three Categories:
- Sativa Dominant Strains: A cerebral high that also provides relaxing body effects. Body and mind relief.
- ex: Mars OG, Neptune OG, Headband, Juicy Fruit, J1, Sour Diesel, Purple Trainwreck
- 50/50 Strains: Strains that have equal amounts of sativa and indica. A perfect balance between body & mind high.
- ex: Cheese, White Widow, Blue Dream, Blue Widow, XJ-13, Purple Diesel, Super Silver Haze
- Indica dominant strains: These strains provide a full body high (full body pain relief), with a smidge of a head-high.
- ex: Tahoe OG, SFV OG, Kosher Kush, Skywalker OG, Purple Urkle, Girl Scout Cookies, Blackberry Kush
Main Effect Differences Between Sativa and Indica Strains of Cannabis
|Focus||Pain + Nausea Relief|
|Fights Depression||Stress + Anxiety Relief|